Why should I order my DSU License Plate?
- Sustain our proud collegiate license plate tradition
- Provide scholarships for deserving DSU students
- License plates are available for all fans of DSU!
Cost to Order
$45, which includes a one-time $20 special plate fee and annual $25 donation to the DSU scholarship fund
Note: An annual $25 donation will be included in your yearly vehicle registration in following years.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get the D license plate?
1. Online at dmv.utah.gov. Follow the links from Online Services: Personalized & Special Group Plates.
2. By direct mail (requires payment by check):
- Make your gift and purchase your plates with one check, payable to the Utah State Tax Commission. The state will forward your gift to the University and mail your plates and state tags to your home within two weeks.
- Complete this printable application form and mail it to the address provided.
3. At the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV):
- Complete the required forms, make your gift via cash, check or credit card, and get your D plate on the spot.
How much does the D license plate cost?
If you are getting a D plate for the first time:
- The annual contribution of $25 to the scholarship fund, plus a one-time special plate fee of $19, amounts to $44 for the first year. After the first year, you make the annual contribution of $25 when you renew your vehicle registration.
If you have the old D plate and want to replace it with the new one:
- It's a $10 plate replacement fee, plus $3 for shipping (if ordered by mail), for a total of $13 ($10 in person). Your annual contribution of $25 will be made when you renew your vehicle registration.
How long does it take to get the new D plate in the mail?
Up to two weeks.
When I purchase or replace the D plate, does it change my renewal/expiration dates?
No. You retain your existing expiration and renewal dates.
When I get a D plate, do I keep the same alphanumeric characters from my existing plate?
No. You do not keep the same alphanumeric characters on your existing plate. Regardless of whether you are purchasing the D plate for the first time or are replacing it, you will be issued a new set of alphanumeric characters. Personalized plates are the only exception — see more details below.
How do I renew my D plate?
After the first year, you make the annual contribution of $25 to the scholarship fund when you renew your vehicle registration. Your gift is added to the total amount shown on your state vehicle registration materials.
You can also make your gift and renew your vehicle registration in person at the DMV.
What if I want to personalize my D plate?
You can order personalized plates with up to five alphanumeric characters in a combination that has not already been assigned by submitting Form TC-817 with the required personalization fee. To see if your slogan is available, go to https://secure.utah.gov/pps/. Form TC-817 may also be completed in person at the DMV.
Additional fees apply: annual contribution of $25 to the scholarship fund, plus a one-time personalized plate fee of $50, plus $10 special plate fee, and $3 (if ordered by mail) amounts to $98 ($95 in person) for the first year.
What if I already have a personalized D plate and I want to use that slogan on a new D plate?
It's a $10 plate replacement fee, plus $3 (if ordered by mail) for a total of $13 ($10 in person).
How long does it take to get the personalized D plate in the mail?
Up to three weeks.
Whom can I call for more information?
Contact the Alumni Association Office at 435-652-7535 or 435-879-4400.